Friday, October 23, 2009

Resource Review #5: Credo is on the Faceplace

Despite my personal opinions about social networking, I am willing to appreciate the value and usefulness of these Web communiques. Contrary to what I casually mentioned during a brief class presentation about Credo Reference, they do have a presence on Facebook and over 200 fans (vs. friends--I appreciate this non-committal acquaintanceship). In a previous post, I admitted how much I do enjoy a good trivia "session" and I am looking forward to trying the Friday Brainteaser (homework first though).
Credo's Facebook wall is essentially a series of daily trivia questions based on an image or quotation with its fans providing the answers and Credo confirming them. The funny part is that some of Credo's replies mention how quick they were to correctly answer the question, some even going so far as to site the source of their information (this is why reference librarians rock: they are thorough)
Credo's wall represents virtual reference for the masses in the Web 2.0 environment; particularly for an audience of anyone who, like myself, appreciates knowledge and those "I didn't know that" moments. The questions are challenging (for me, at least) and often have that this-day-in-history vibe to them which is a great way to cull recollection and thought provocation from those who view the Credo wall. Good show!

No comments:

Post a Comment